international sales

Advanced Search
Username:

Password:



Statuary Mary - Our Lady of Good Voyage

Filter By:   New Antique View All View Related Projects

Mary - Our Lady of Good Voyage

Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Spanish: Nuestra Senora de la Paz y Buen Viaje), informally or locally known as Virgin of Antipolo, is a 16th-century Roman Catholic celebrated dark wooden statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary venerated by Filipino Roman Catholics.

Pious legends claim that it was once found on top of a Tipolo tree, but it is generally believed to have been originally brought by Don Juan Nino de Tabora from Mexico via the galleon El Almirante. The statue survived its burning ship and was given its present title due to this event. The statue is enshrined in the Cathedral of Antipolo, under the titular patronage of the Immaculate Conception of Mary in Antipolo, Rizal, Philippines. The statue is reputedly famous for having crossed the Pacific Ocean six times back in forth via Manila to Acapulco, Mexico without any damage or losses.

The statue is one of the most celebrated images of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Philippines, having been immortalized through several records during the Spanish era and folktale recollections taught in public elementary schools, most notably by Jose Rizal in his nationalistic writings.

History

On March 25, 1626, the galleon trading ship "El Almirante" arrived from Acapulco, Mexico. On board was the Governor of the Philippines Don Juan Nino de Tabora, who brought with him the statue from Mexico. The statue was first taken to the Jesuit church in Intramuros called Saint Ignatius Church (Spanish: San Ignacio Church). When the Governor Tabora died in 1632, the statue was donated to the Jesuits for enshrinment in the present church of Antipolo.

In 1639, the Chinese rose in revolt, burning the Antipolo town and church. In fear that the statue would be destroyed, Don Sebastian Hurtado de Corcuera ordered the statue be transferred back to Manila. Instead, a change of plans came and the statue was moved to Cavite where it was transiently venerated.

Don Sebastian ordered the statue removed in 1648, when it was transferred from its Cavite shrine and was shipped back to Mexico. At the time, having a statue of a saint on the ship served as a patroness or protector of the Acapulco trade.

The statue boarded several Acapulco trade ships, namely the following Galleons:

� El Almirante "� (1626)

� San Luis "� (1648-1649)

� Encarnacion "� (1650)

� San Diego "� (1651-1653)

� San Francisco Javier "� (1659-1662)

� Nuestra Senora del Pilar "� (1663)

� San Jose "� (1746-1748)

All routes taken by the statue were between Manila to Acapulco to Manila routes from 1648 to 1748.

A royal decree from the King of Spain in May 19, 1864 ordered that the curias of San Nicolas de Tolentino be turned over to the Jesuits and in exchange, the curias of Antipolo, Taytay and Morong were tuned over to the Agustinian Recollects. The statue, by virtue of being under the jurisdiction of Antipolo became owned by the Augustinian recollect priests.

On November 26, 1926, the statue was canonically crowned by the Archbishop of Manila, Rev. Michael J. O'Doherty.

Japanese Occupation

In 1944, the Japanese Imperial Army invaded the town and turned it into their garrisons, while the shrine was turned into an arsenal. Fearing for the statue, the head sacristan Procopio Angeles wrapped the image in a thick wool blanket and placed it in an empty gasoline drum. He then buried the statue under the kitchen. The altercation of the Japanese and the combined American and Filipino soldiers caused Procopio and other devotees to transfer the statue to a hill between Antipolo and Angono called Kulaiki. From this location, it was sent to Santolan then to Pasig city. The statue was then transferred to the Ocampos family compound at Quiapo, Manila and was later transferred to the Quiapo Church.

After the war from the Japanese and combined American-Filipino ground troops in the invaded and liberated in Antipolo, the statue was returned on October 15, 1945 to the present Antipolo shrine, where it resides today. The shrine itself is placed under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Cathedral Shrine

According to the marker erected at the statue's cathedral shrine, the first missionaries of Antipolo city were the Franciscans. The Jesuits then followed and administered the church from 1591 to 1768. The church was greatly damaged during the Chinese uprising of 1639 and in the earthquakes of 1645, 1824 and 1883. Notable Filipino historians such as Pedro Chirino and Pedro Murillo Velarde ministered in the shrine.

The diocese of Antipolo was created on January 24, 1983 and was canonically erected on June 25, 1983 at the Shrine Parish of the Immaculate Conception in Antipolo, Rizal.

The text in this box was generated from a Wikipedia article, which is released under the CC-BY-SA.

Read More

Title: Hand Carved Wood Or Marble Mary-Our Lady Of Good Voyage
Item Number: KRNM-A817
Description:
KRMUS-817: Hand carved statue of Mary-Our Lady Of Good Voyage which can be sculpted in wood or marble. Finishes and colors to your specifications. Available in any size o...
Title: Hand Carved Wood Or Marble Mary-Our Lady Of Good Voyage
Item Number: KRNM-A818
Description:
KRMUS-818: Hand carved statue of Mary-Our Lady Of Good Voyage which can be sculpted in wood or marble. Finishes and colors to your specifications. Available in any size o...